March 15, 2005 — Former Utah Governor Olene Walker announced the kick off of a contest to give away the ‘gift’ awarded to her by the Governor of Pennsylvania. The ‘gift’ of a trip to historic or cultural Pennsylvania was offered if the University of Utah beat the University of Pittsburgh in the Tostito’s Fiesta Bowl last December. Of course the Utes won by a score of 35-7.
“This is all in fun,” said Governor Walker. “However we do want to let the entire University of Utah football team and the coaching staff know how proud we are of them and their accomplishment. It was a very exciting season, and a great post season.”
Vice President for University Relations Fred Esplin said this is a great way to recognize some of the dedicated Utah football fans. “Our fans were so enthusiastic and loyal during the great season the Utes had last year. This is a great way to reward their dedication.”
Pennsylvania Governor Edward G. Rendell offered the following:
· A trip for two to one of Pennsylvania’s historic areas in either Philadelphia or Pittsburgh
· Two tickets to a major sporting event
· Three nights stay
· Round trip airfare for two
· Transportation to and from the airport
In addition, Governor Walker says two trips within Utah will be given away:
· A getaway for two to Snowbird
· Two nights stay at the Cliff Lodge
· Dinner for two at the Keyhole Junction Restaurant
· Two aerial tram passes
· A getaway for two to Moab
· Two nights stay at the Red Cliffs Lodge
· Dinner for two at Red Cliffs Cowboy Grill
· Half day horseback ride for two
University of Utah football fans can enter by sending a postcard to:
Fiesta Bowl Contest
State Capitol Complex Suite E220
Salt Lake City, UT 84114
The entry must include name, address, phone number and email. The contestants must be at least 18 years of age. The postcards must be received by 5:00 p.m. on Thursday, March 31, 2005.
The winner will be drawn in a special ceremony in April.