November 21, 2006 — As the University of Utah prepares for its match-up with BYU on Saturday, The Collegiate Licensing Company (CLC), in conjunction with University officials, is making preparations to rid the marketplace of potential counterfeit and unlicensed merchandise.
CLC and the University, along with local law enforcement officials, will monitor the Salt Lake marketplace in search of counterfeiters selling “knock-off” merchandise. All counterfeit merchandise is subject to seizure.
“We know there’s always a lot of excitement and passion around this game and that people want to capitalize on that,” said Shane Hinckley, Director of Licensing and Marketing for the University of Utah. “We just want to make sure our fans and our brand are protected in the process.”
When purchasing Utah merchandise, consumers should always look for the following characteristics to ensure the merchandise they purchase is officially licensed:
- All officially licensed merchandise should display the Official Licensed Collegiate Product Hologram somewhere on the product or hangtag.
- The merchandise should depict the Utah logos and marks in a tasteful manner, as the University does not approve distasteful designs.
- The tag on the garment should be intact. A torn or missing tag is evidence of a second-hand garment, one that probably would not meet the stringent quality standards in place at the University.
- All merchandise should bear the name of the manufacturer somewhere on the product, either in the form of a hangtag, a neck label, or screen-printed directly on the garment.
- All merchandise should have the appropriate trademark designations (i.e. TM, ®) next to a specific name or design.
The Collegiate Licensing Company is the official licensing agency for the University of Utah and BYU.
About The Collegiate Licensing Company
The Collegiate Licensing Company is the oldest and largest collegiate licensing agency in the nation. CLC currently represents more than 200 colleges, universities, bowl games, athletic conferences, The Heisman Trophy, and the NCAA (including the Men’s and Women’s Final Four, the College World Series, and all NCAA Championships). Headquartered in Atlanta, CLC is a full-service licensing representative, which employs a staff of more than 80 licensing professionals who provide full-service capabilities in brand protection, brand management, and brand development.